Interview with Stephen Bentley
1) Can you tell us a little about the inspiration behind your entry for this contest?
I was researching about LAPD, and the Robbery Homicide Squad, for a novel. So, I decided on that as a setting. The joke (or was it?) about Greatreads.com reflects my sense of humour.
2) What made you decide to enter this contest?
Good question. The timing was right really and I saw your event on Goodreads, and thought – why not?
3) Who are some of your favourite authors and why?
Charles Bukowski and Michael Connelly. The former because I love pulp fiction and his style. The latter, because his books are infused with the realism that emanates from years of being a crime reporter in LA. He knows cops and knows what makes them tick.
4) What is your favourite book you read this year and why?
‘The Late Show’ by Michael Connelly. Great female detective protagonist in Detective Renee Ballard and the realism that oozes from the pages.
5) What is your best piece of advice for all the new independent authors out there?
Keep writing and ensure your books are properly edited. You do no favours to the indie writing community by publishing badly edited books or with no editing at all.